Thursday, March 8, 2012

9 Things You Shouldn't Say to Your Child

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/07/12/dont.say.to.child.p/index.html

I found another great article to share.  There are things on this list that I haven't said and I don't think I would, there are things I want to say, and then there are things that I have said.  I always try to remember that you cannot take back words.  Once the words are out, that is it.  You can make the situation better at the time by saying I am sorry (which it is important for your children to hear you say) and giving a hug or kiss.  However, you will always remember that moment because it made you feel so bad and your children will remember it, too.  They may be a parent one day and promise never to say hurtful words to their children because 'my parents said it to me and it hurt'.  But in the heat of the moment, that is not an easy thing to remember.

As parents, we know that children listen to us.  They often repeat words they shouldn't because they overhear us.  Who is to say they aren't saying those same words to kids in school or using the language in play?  At the same time, we would go crazy if we monitored everything we said, all of the time.  There is no room for 'editor' on my mom to do list.  But, I do have room for role model and teacher.   If I say something I shouldn't, no matter the intensity, then I need to say I am sorry and admit to making a bad choice.  Then I can use it as a teaching moment (after I give myself a timeout).




No comments:

Post a Comment