Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The power of a teacher

Starting with kindergarten, I can name all of my elementary teachers and most of my middle school and high school teachers.  Each one made a difference in my life.  I always loved school (the best birthday present I ever got was in 2nd grade from Aunt Carol - all Snoopy school supplies) so it's no wonder I loved teaching and being an administrator.  School feels like home to me and maybe that is why I am in 21st grade.  Mrs. Gollen, Mrs. Hydinger, Mr. Urbanski, Mr. Brennan, Mr. Spiesman, Mrs. Gresham, . . . Oh and Mrs. Phinney, Mrs. Hyslop, Mr. Kader. . .

Since Peyton began preschool, I have relieved that power of a teacher and have been a little melancholic for my own contributions as a teacher.  The connection you make with a teacher or that a teacher makes with a student provides the foundation for your life.  Peyton sings now instead of covering his ears or my mouth, he is recognizing words and reading, he reads math sentences, he knows what it is to be responsible and have a leadership role, he has begun to understand the meaning of friends, and this is all because of Mrs. Newland and Mrs. Atkins. I will never let him forget their names.

Mrs. Parker, Mr. Kujala, Mrs. Beatty, Mrs. Hart, Mrs. Thayer, Mrs. Robertson, Mrs. Krall.  .  .

No comments:

Post a Comment