Tuesday, September 7, 2010

She did it!

Maddy completed her first day of kindergarten. All day kindergarten at that. The not home in her daily communication folder simply said she had an ok day but had a hard time in PE. I didn't know she was going to have PE otherwise I may have been able to prep her a bit. Also, I am pretty sure it was in the afternoon so she was coming off or already off her meds. More information to share with the doctor next Wednesday.

She is in an autism classroom for grades K-2 and although I know this is the best place for her, part of me is defensive because I think she would have done well in a regular ed class with supports and with a teacher who really knew differentiated instruction. But then I hear about her stuggle with PE and then I rethink my whole position. It's very interesting to see/hear others reactions though when it comes up that she is in the special ed classroom. When we arrived on campus today, the staff member directing students and parents asked what grade and when we told her, she was caught off guard in way and said oh wait, they will come out to get you. It was as if we were diseased. I am totally reading in to it, I am sure, but I find myself being defensive when it comes up. As if to say "you have a problem with that? with my daughter being in special ed?" I have a lot to learn as she embarks on this educational career.

I am interested to see how our family dynamic changes over the next few weeks as we adjust to a school schedule and as Peyton and I find our groove. I have to begin to look for outlets and social experiences for him. He is prime and ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment